-30! Holy guacamole! We don't get that kind of cold around here very often.
Just thinking about it makes me want to snuggle up with Echo and Ollie by the fireplace, drink hot chocolate, and not move all day.
Two things: I don't have a fireplace, and I haven't sat in one place all day since early November 2014, before I became a mommy.
The Little Outdoorsman did NOT go out of doors yesterday. Or today... the windchill is only -20.
And all spring. And summer. And fall too, I guess.
No judgment here.
Here's how I made it!
I have had some trouble finding a Mexican cheese in my grocery store in the past; they just switch out their products so often. The best that I've found is pictured here- it is called Chihuahua cheese. It is white and creamy and wonderful. I have used a Sargento Mexican cheese blend before as well and it was fine.
We are going to cook the chicken and shrimp in the same pan as the veggies. I love the flavor; plus, it saves dishes!
It is time to get things sizzling! Either wipe out the skillet you have been using or get out a new, medium-sized skilled. Having cast iron for these last steps is really helpful, but I have used a nonstick skillet in the past with success.
Continue to work with the skillet on medium heat (like a 4 out of 10). First, place a layer of the American cheese on the bottom of the pan. I like to get VERY generous with my cheese in this particular recipe (well, in any recipe, really). Then, spread out a layer of the grated Chihuahua cheese. I apologize for not getting a picture of this step.
Sizzling chicken and shrimp makes me forget myself.
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, trimmed and tenderized
- 15-20 shrimp, cleaned, deveined with no tails
- 1/2 cup chihuahua cheese or similar Mexican white cheese
- 5 slices American cheese
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine all marinade ingredients. Pour marinade over chicken and shrimp, bagged separately. Marinade for at least one hour.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Slice onions and peppers and add to skillet. Season the onion and pepper medley with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes, or until soft. Take the veggies out of the pan and set aside in a small bowl.
3. Leave the skillet on medium heat and add another tablespoon of olive oil if needed. Add chicken breasts to the skillet and saute for 6 minutes on each side. When the chicken is nearly golden brown and cooked through, add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, until they are pink and start to curl.
4. Heat a medium-sized cast iron skillet on medium heat (or wipe out the one you are currently using, setting the chicken and shrimp aside).
5. Lay the slices of American cheese on the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle the chihuahua cheese over the American cheese. Layer the onions and peppers over the cheeses, and add the chicken and shrimp on top. Allow everything to heat until you can hear the cheese "sizzle".
6. Serve immediately. Pair with a salad, mashed potatoes, or both!